Make Your Own Snow Shaker
Snow shakers are deceptively quick and easy to make, and make fantastic gifts or table decorations for Christmas!
Your child can make her own Christmas wonderland with these beautiful snow shakers. They are deceptively quick and easy to make, and make fantastic gifts or table decorations.
You Will Need:
- Empty, clean jam jars
- Distilled water
- Liquid detergent
- Jug and spoon
- Glitter – white or silver are best for snow, but red or green are also festive
- Christmas decorations (such as model santa or snow man) to put in jar
- Strong, waterproof glue
1. Fill jars: Use a jug to pour the distilled water into the jam jar. Add two teaspoons of glycerine and half a teaspoon of detergent.
2. Add glitter: Spoon approximately five or six teaspoons of glitter into the water.
3. Attach decoration: Use a blob of waterproof glue to securely stick the decoration to the inside of the jam jar lid – an adult should do this for younger children. Allow the glue to dry thoroughly.
4. Secure lid: Carefully screw the lid tightly into place. The jam jar should b watertight, but you can also seal it around the edge with a layer of craft silicone sealant (available from craft shops).
This craft idea is one of hundreds in Crafting with Kids by Catherine Woram (Ryland Peters & Small RRP £14.99). Photographs by Vanessa Davies.
- Play Doh Recipe: Play doh is still one of the easiest (and cheapest!) activities you can share with your child. This recipe takes 5 minutes, and you can store the play doh to re-use later.
- Tidy Fun: Make Paper Lanterns: Paper lanterns are the perfect craft activity for children in apartments or small houses - they don't make much mess and will brighten up a child's bedroom in an afternoon.
- Make Peg Doll Christmas Angels: Old fashioned peg dolls make delightful Christmas angels, but can also be made into Santa Claus with red felt and a cotton wool beard.