Winter ailments and essential oils
It’s just so cold outside, and that means that we – and our children – are suffering. But what can we do about it? Supernanny expert aromatherapist Penny Price gives her recommendations for coping with those horrible winter ailments…….
On with the oils!
It can be heartbreaking to see your child suffering and miserable with illness, and winter is the most common time of year for children to become ill. With the cold weather, feeling cold, the lack of sunlight and then the contrast of central heating, it is not surprising that the immune system is weaker at this time of year and we are all more prone to catching any bugs that are around.
With most cold and flu-like illnesses, you should encourage your child to drink plenty of fluids and to get as much rest as possible – with lots of TLC!
Essential oils can be great to help a variety of winter symptoms, from a fever to sinus congestion. Here are some suggestions (halve the number of recommended drops of oil if your child is under two years old):
This is a very versatile essential oil in times of illness.
• For a raised temperature use 2 drops in some bubble bath and then add to the bathwater
• For chesty coughs, put 4 drops in an egg cupful of olive oil and rub into the back of the chest several times a day
• For sinus congestion, put 2 drops in an egg cupful of lotion and apply gently and sparingly to the cheekbones and temples several times a day
• For aches and pains, use 2 drops in the bath as above, or blend 4 drops into an egg cupful of sesame seed oil and massage gently into the affected areas
This is a soothing and comforting oil to help with the distress of illness.
• To aid restful sleep, put 2 drops of the oil on a tissue and place it inside the pillowslip or under the bottom bed sheet near the head. The oil will evaporate to give a relaxing aroma in the bedroom
• 2 drops of Chamomile in the bath will soothe and relax
• For red, angry skin or high temperature, put 4 drops of chamomile in 1 egg cupful of lotion or cream and apply to the area sparingly but several times a day
This beautiful ‘happy’ oil will lift the spirits and help to keep the air pure and clean
• To help stop the spread of infection and lift the spirit, use 4 drops of the oil in a fan vaporiser
• To help with sickness and other digestive disorders put 4 drops of orange oil in an egg cupful of olive oil and massage the abdomen gently several times a day
• You can also use 2 drops of oil in the bath for an overall uplifting effect.
Winter Warmers - how to keep your baby warm this winter! If we’re feeling the cold, just how do you think our babies are coping? Well, fear no more about frozen little hands or toes. We have some great winter warmer suggestions to make those cold days and nights that little bit toastier.
How aromatherapy can help your children: Supernanny’s new expert, Penny Price, who has been an aromatherapist for 25 years, explains, and gives her own remedies for common childhood ailments.
Massage and Touch for Babies and Children: The benefits of massage to babies and children cannot be extolled highly enough! Massage is touch in its most positive form, and most children love being held and cuddled by a parent. Supernanny expert Penny Price looks at the areas where massage can help!
Find Out More
For further advice email firstname.lastname@example.org
or visit Penny's website
for more information on the products available.
MohDoh makes healthy playdough which is infused with essential oils to create a safe and fun way of helping children suffering from various childhood ailments.